The Maison Gallice was built in 1899, originally as the family home of Louis-Henri-Marcel Gallice (1854-1930), then president of premier Champagne House Perrier-Jouët. Since 2014 the house has been the Head Office of Champagne House de Venoge.
The Maison Gallice now forms part of the Champagne Hillsides, Houses and Cellars included on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Designed by architect Charles Blondel, the house is a fine example of fin de siècle style, built in the"noble" building materials of the period (dressed stone and slate) and featuring eyebrow dormer windows.
The house itself faces onto an inner, gated courtyard, with outbuildings, dependencies and grounds extending behind the house. The main entrance overlooks Champagne Avenue in Epernay. An elegant, wrought-iron canopy sets off the ornamental gate, also made of wrought iron and featuring Marcel Gallice’s initials. This signature is likewise displayed on the wrought-iron balcony on the front elevation, framed by two griffin-shaped supports.
Inside the house, the main reception rooms look northwards over the grounds. Decorative plasterwork and panelling dominate the interior but one feature that really stands out is a stained glass window dating from 1921, depicting the angel of freedom. The image is a tribute to the "martyrs of Epernay" in the First World War, highlighted by an olive branch decoration and flanked by garlands of grapes and vine leaves symbolizing Marcel Gallice’s ties to Perrier-Jouët Champagne.
The Maison Gallice remained the possession of Perrier-Jouet until it passed into public ownership (like so many of the properties formerly owned by Champagne Houses in Epernay and Rheims) and became the Head Office of ORCA (the regional cultural office of the Champagne-Ardennes region).
The 21st Century saw its return to the Champagne fold following its acquisition by Champagne House de Venoge.