The Hôtel Moët was built in 1793 by Jean-Rémy Moët when he took over the business following the death of his father.
The Moët & Chandon Champagne House is among the Champagne Hillsides, Houses and Cellars included on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
In July 1918, the building was badly damaged by a bomb and the subsequent fire.
Reconstruction ran from 1928 to 1934, under the direction of the then House director Jean-Rémy Chandon-Moët, to plans drawn up by architects Henri Picart and Bruno de Maigret.
The façade consists almost entirely of windows, providing maximum light to the offices and workshops. The surrounding masonry is meanwhile composed of warm, sand-coloured bricks that are quite untypical of the region and probably deliberately chosen to convey the image of the wine itself.
The architects opted for what was then a relatively modern building material: concrete.
The construction of the "Commerce" building, in particular, could not have been achieved without load-bearing concrete columns — essential to overcome the instability of a site hollowed out by cellars below the surface.
The building is exceptionally tall, standing some 80 metres high and positioned like a sentry at the entrance to the Avenue de Champagne — a concrete expression of confidence in the future of the Avenue’s residents and their namesake Champagne wine.
(source Moët & Chandon and Editions de l’Effervescence)
Since the 1800s, the original headquarters building of Moët & Chandon Champagne has conserved its aesthetic value and continues to draw thousands of admiring visitors from all over the world.