Owned by G.H. Mumm and classified as a historic monument, the Moulin de Verzenay was built on the Mont-Bœuf in 1818 by the Tinot-Vincent couple, and was designed for the simultaneous milling of two types of grain.
The last working millers were the Boudeville family who acquired the mill in 1863 then ceased production voluntarily in 1903 because the miller had decided that the mill would not turn after his death.
Bought by the Maison Goulden in 1904, the mill served as an observation post in the 1914-18 war, with galleries dug underground, concrete quarters, etc. Among the many figures on the Allied side who visited in 1917 were Victor-Emmanuel III, Président Poincaré, generals Fayolle, Micheler, Gouraud.
After being acquired by Heidsieck-Monopole in 1923, the mill then returned to its role as an observation post for the American army in 1944.
A project to restore the mill (timbers and the four sails) to its original condition was set in motion in 1949 on the initiative of the then Heidsieck Director Monsieur Rémy.
The Moulin de Verzenay is the last surviving example of the many 19th Century mills that once stood on the windswept Mont Rizan. Its conservation was taken over in 1972 by the House of Mumm, now offering guests an exceptional view across the Champagne vineyards.